Thursday, April 27, 2006

Big Shiny Light on Moscow


On my travels I will be drifting through Moscow for a few days. I’ve done a bit of research (okay, so I have a travel folder, quit making fun of me and my paranoid anal organising!), and there are a few things I would like to do when I get there.

Of course the Kremlin with Red Square and St. Basils Cathedral will be first on the agenda, but I also want to eat at a random restaurant in the arbat and pretend to be a ballet dancer on the steps of the Bolshoi. I may decide to do a bit of intellectual tourism and head to the Tretyakov Art Gallery, but then again, I may not. Who knows how we’ll feel when we get there. I think it is of the utmost importance that Kate and I pretend to stalk each other in Gorky Park and drink too much vodka at an underground bar. Ooh, and I want to run amuck inside the Moscow metro – It looks beautiful. Who’d have thought there would be a stunning underground train system somewhere in the world?

My aim in Russia is to not get arrested. Getting arrested is bad. I did get a complementary ride in the back of a police car in San Francisco for trying to walk along the side of the freeway to get to the Golden Gate Bridge at about 10pm… that was funny though. And I spoke the language. One of the guys from work thinks I can try to pull off Russian by adding “ski” to the end of words, but I would rather have a little more to work with than mutated pigeon Russian… I am trying to learn the Russian alphabet because apparently being able to read the words will help me a lot, even if I don’t understand a lot of what it means.

No comments: